Hi everyone! Prepare yourselves because the purpose of this post is to pimp other people’s published works. 🙂
So, I decided to self-publish my book 100 Nightmares and learned one very important thing… Marketing is a bitch.
Most indie writers don’t have a dedicated team of professionals to advertise their published works but we do have something better… we have each other.
Through this post, I would like to share the latest releases from friends and from authors that I admire.
Over the past few months, I was able to meet a lot of wonderful people. I became acquainted with some really great writers and even had the privilege of sharing anthologies with some of these fine authors.
While some of the authors on this list happen to be well-known names in the industry, some are emerging writers with books published by small presses/ self-published writers, just like me. 🙂 All of these authors are very talented and have gained my respect over the past few months. So check it out… there’s a little something for everyone. 🙂
1) Lori R. Lopez –
Are you a fan of poetry?
Watch out for Lori Lopez’s second volume of verse, POETIC REFLECTIONS: THE QUEEN OF HATS. It has everything from dark verse to humorous pieces to serious themes.
It will also include some of Ms. Lopez’s special artwork for the Illustrated Print Edition. (Yes, she’s THAT talented) I was able to have a sneak preview of some of the illustrations. I was amazed, really. The drawings had a dark fairytale-like quality to them and reminded me a lot of Alice and Wonderland. This book is coming very soon so watch out for the release.
Meanwhile, why not grab a copy of one of her latest books “Beauty”. It is a humorous horror tale inspired by the classic, Sleeping Beauty.
I’ve always been a fan of Ms. Lopez’s bizarre mind and gorgeous poetic prose!
2) Terry M. West –
Mr. West’s latest book Heroin in the Magic Now is now available at http://www.amazon.com/Heroin-Magic-Now-Terry-West-ebook/dp/B00MQC0A1E
“HEROIN IN THE MAGIC NOW is a nightmare on acid. It is beautiful, deep and sad…”-Heather Omen, THE HORROR NATION
Mr. West has a very interesting past and this book is a dark and personal story by the author. I’ve read some of Mr. West’s works and I can honestly say that his stories are truly dark, demented, disturbing and deep. He understands both horror and pain very well.
3) Aurelio Rico Lopez III –
It’s my pleasure to introduce to you a fellow Filipino horror author and an excellent storyteller. I was able to read one of his story collections, Nothing’s Fine. The collection contains everything from tales of deranged characters to zombie stories with a fascinating twist.
Also, if you’re a huge fan of werewolves, be sure to check out one of his books, Cry Wolf.
4) Essel Pratt is awesome and very prolific. I feel fortunate to share several horror anthologies with him, including Vignettes from the End of the World by Apokrupha and JWK Fiction Best of Horror 2013
But if you’re a fan of fantasy, here’s the good news: Scott has a recently released Fantasy novel, Final Reverie, set in a world after the downfall of technology and the rise of magic. Imagine a world where animals are able to think and speak and do things at the same level as human beings. You can get the book at Amazon
5) Alex S. Johnson –
Are you a fan of Bizarro Horror? Check out Alex S. Johnson’s latest release, Doctor Flesh: Director’s Cut
“Will make you feel as if you’ve just eaten 8 Percocets and washed ’em down with a bottle of moonshine,” – Necro Stein of Texas Terror Entertainment.
Alex Johnson is bold and original. He pushes boundaries and is known for writing some really disturbing stuff. This book is definitely not for everyone. Enter these waters forewarned. Also, I feel very lucky to be included in a forthcoming extreme Horror Bizarro anthology edited by Mr. Johnson and Mr. John Ledger. It’s coming very very soon. Writing for this antho enabled me to explore new territories. It’s just so out of this world!
6) Riya Anne Polcastro –
Fellow blogger Riya Anne Polcastro of Serrated Roses released her first novel, Suicide in Tiny Increments.
I was given an advanced copy of the book and I was pleasantly surprised. This book may not be for everyone but I certainly enjoyed it! Suicide in Tiny Increments definitely took me for a wild ride. I felt like a voyeur taking a peek at the lives of pathetic, twisted, demented, and very interesting characters. It was like watching a tragicomedy film.
7) Jim Goforth’s latest book, Plebs by J.Ellington Ashton Press is outstanding and very well-reviewed. Many people describe it as “Laymonesque”… a book that doesn’t shy away from sex and gore and carnage. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Plebs. Just check it out and see what the fans, reviewers and readers have to say http://www.amazon.com/dp/1495240398
8) JWK Fiction Best of Horror 2013 – compiled by James Ward Kirk, featuring the works of fantastic writers such as Dona Fox, Essel Pratt, Paula D. Ashe, Michael Randolph, K.Z. Morano 🙂 and others…
A curious character writing under the name of Mary Poppins described the book as: “Mostly sick… has part porn and very cruel stories…”
Be warned, this book is NOT FOR EVERYONE. Those with more delicate sensibilities should definitely stay away because these writers don’t sugarcoat shit just to entertain. Instead, they challenge readers to stare at the monster right in the face.
If you think you can handle the horror, get the book at http://www.amazon.com/JWK-Fiction-Best-Horror-2013-ebook/dp/B00MFOGJR2
I’m very proud to be a part of this collection!
9) Versatile English author Gary Murphy compiled 10 of his scary stories and published Black River: an Anthology. The book is available at Amazon.com
10) Just found out that Lisa Dabrowski has a new book! This one definitely looks interesting! 😉 DR SADISTIC’S HOUSE OF WHORRORS consists of piquant little fables and anecdotes from the documents of Mistress Rosie, dominatrix, sexual terrorist and demi Goddess. Poignant accounts of male correction that are both arousing and politically subversive. Ooohh… and there are some illustrations inside the book that are both beautiful and grotesque.
And last but not the least:
11) A collaborative novella from Bram Stoker Award®-nominated author, Charles Day, and the acclaimed author of Shutter Speed, Mark Taylor. Redemption (published by Black Bed Sheet Books) is supernatural horror at its finest.
I’m a huge fan of Charles Day (the author AND the person). Grab a copy at http://www.amazon.com/Redemption-Charles-Day/dp/0692240446
I encourage everyone to visit the links and read some fresh fiction… discover a new author… hell, maybe even step out of your comfort zone and explore a new genre! And if you like the book, please don’t forget to leave a review. 🙂